ORCHARD OF MEMORIES

        I allowed his 'success' affect my mentality.
I wanted, by all means to be just like him. He looped me into his cocaine business which was his major source of income. On my first trip to SA, I was caught and jailed for 12years. I spent nearly one-fifth of my life serving my terms but now I'm free. I decided to hunt for a job but it seems I was too old to get an honest one. No capital to start a business. I struggled further for another 14 years but I couldn't boast of any fortune. "Should I return to my old ways?, I thought. 
Actually it was my only option. 
My first night on the highway was a nightmare. I was the only one shot amongst the other 12 criminals. I was admitted to the hospital and was hospitalized for close to 3years, the doctors were kind enough to treat me but not to let me go. I did some manual labor and was set free on completion. I had no where to go, no one to run to. The churches didn't seem to have any solution to my predicament, they concentrated more on what I could offer. I became impatient with life and thought of a suicide, but as a strong-willed Igbo man, I can just die!

Under the bridge was my home, I was robbed of all my clothes and had nothing to be scared of. Life was too harsh on me that I had no more fear! The worst that could happen to me was death and likewise the best thing that could happen!
I tried to pray but I lost count of "unanswered" prayers. Whenever I tried to pray, I thought God was playing ludo with his angels.
I gave up on life and life gave up on me!
One night, just one night...I'm awaken and I'm alive again.
Guess what happened, Chima bought me a loaf of bread and coke!
Now I'm no more hungry
...but soon I shall be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2018